29905560

We have issues with our builder - he gave us a verbal quote

Customer Question

we have issues with our builder - he gave us a verbal quote for the work and started work on building before he had written had provide us with a contract and written quote.
When the written quote came in few months later it had gone up from £70k to £104k.
We told him at that point that that was our ceiling regarding costs. He told us that he could do the work for less and it would not exceed that. Again we said we needed a formal contract with him and he kept saying that he would provide one. No work was done at the property for several months because we had to wait for planning. He was paid up to date but what we hadn't appreciated was that he his actions had caused works ... he had undermined the building by totally gutting it so it required underpining and a steel framework to go in .. he billed us and was paid but did not make clear at the time that it wasn't included in the price. Nor was it clear that it had been cuased by him totally gutting th e building. He was clever not to put things in writing and was vague about invoices. We are now over the £104 k and he is calling everything variations. He is now demanding an additional £70 k but hasn't come up with a final sum to complete the work. The work started in 2015. He did provide us with a time line to complete the work this April in 2017. He has been adding 30% to work for subcontractors etc ( we originally went with him because he had employees). I have recently discovered he has an RBS bank charge against his company. Looking for advice please
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

So based on what you have described, what are you ideally hoping for so that I can advise?

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
We are based in Scotland. We want him off the job. We still don't have a contract with terms and conditions. He said that the work would take 10 weeks it is now 29 months. we are running out of cash. He is probably going to invoice us again... I'm not sure but we feel he has overcharged us, misled us and that we are financing his company. Does the quote constitute the contract?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 30 days ago.

I do apologise. I will need to opt out so that an expert in Scottish law can assist you instead. Many thanks