31090051

My background> Today, I did an incredibly stupid thing due

My background> Today, I did an incredibly stupid thing due to what I can only see as stress and desperation. My husband filed for a divorce about a month ago and i've been falling behind on rent for the past few months. I have never been in trouble with the law nor do i have any previous convictions. Life for the past year has been hard, I've started college and I'm a single mother to my two young daughters, so trying to better myself to support them is my top priority.
Today I was caught shop lifting. It wasn't planned or anything, i just saw some things and though if i sold them online then i could catchup on rent. I didn't even realise how much worth i had put into my bag till afterwards. In total it came to around £2000. Everything was caught on CCTV and they kept my bag which i used as well.
The police were called and the first thing he said to me when he saw how distressed and upset I was, was "Well you haven't been in trouble with us before"!
He was very polite, i told him about my home situation, being on antidepressants and my current struggles. We said he would have just let me go with just a verbal warning but being as the total amount was around £2,000, he said he's send me away with a warning and I should get a letter from the COPFS.
I was just wondering what I am facing here, if you could advise me in any way going forward.
I feel so stupid and full of anxiety and regret. What a stupid thing to do and totally out of character!!

What shop, and what were the items? I am a solicitor in Scotland and will try to help you with this.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Apple products and ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can’t afford the phone call sorry, not sure if that was an advert or not

Did the police cautionand charge you or did they say they were going to file a report to the procurator fiscal?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
File a report with the COPFS

That usually means that they will prosecute, certainly having regard to the value of the goods. Once you get the papers through you should see a good criminal lawyer immediately. He or she will be able to conduct a plea in mitigation for you to minimise the sentence you get. Your personal circumstances can be highlighted to the court as well as the fact that you are a first offender. You will not go to prison for this but the court will consider a fine or a community payback order. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.