Michael
Michael, Technician
Experience:  Small appliance technician
11519491

I have a Dimplex CRT20BR and the lamps come on for 25 seconds

Customer Question

I have a Dimplex CRT20BR and the lamps come on for 25 seconds then go off for 5 seconds, this is happening all the time the fire is switched on
Category: Small Appliance
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
I am Tech Michael and I will be assisting you today.
Please be patient with us as these are technical questions and some testing may be required.
It may take a bit of back and forth conversation to be sure we have all the information in order to make a proper diagnosis.
Do you get any heat from it when it is on?
Also does it sound normal otherwise?
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Heat is o k and the sound is normal

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi Derek, thank you for that information.
When it goes off so quickly it is a bad thermal element, used as a safety cut off, but in your case that part has failed and will need to be replaced. If you ave some basic hand tools and a meter for testing I can help you make this repair.
Also I can guide you where to get that part;-)
I will stick with you until this is fixed But since this may take some time, if you will rate my service in a positive fashion thus far before you close this page, the system will allow me to schedule free follow ups with you and also ensure your question will NOT close or time out
You will then be able to contact me at anytime at no additional cost until we have this fixed for you.
Thank you Derek.
Tech Michael

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Michael i have rated you as requested and i have access to a multi meter where do we go from here

Regards Derek

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Derek,
When you open the unit you are looking for a small part near either the thermostat or What it does, is it cuts on and off if it feels too much heat, but in your case the part became over sensitive and is triggering too early, please let me know when you find that part, I will help you but you will need to replace that part.
I will be here.
Thanks again.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Michael,

Can you direct me to the position of the thermostat. Am i looking for a thermal cut out and can you describe the position of said part, can i access it from the back or is it in the sump area,

Derek

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi Derek, I usually get to the electronics form the back, but it should be near the thermostat, also that thermostat could be bad as either one of these parts will cause this.
If it doesn't need to be reset,when this happens and just comes back on by itself then its a good bet thats all that is wrong, but that model was changed internally mid year so I can be sure how to direct you but you can look and likely figure that part out lol.
Once you find which part is cutting out and you can see this on your meter as a make and break contact happening, or the way I do this is by bypassing the part with a jumper wire and if it stays on then, you have found the part!
Tech Michael

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This model has no thermostat for the heating elements.The lamps are fed from a filter or transformer.

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi Derek,
on that model, you may simply have a bad transformer that is failing, but if this problem occurs on a pretty exact timing it is the main control that has a problem.
Please check into this further as there is a safety device in there as well
Let me as, when it shuts down, does everything go off?
Also, will it keep restarting on its own?
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Michael

The fan heater is independant to the lamps so this works fine. The

lamps are used as part of the Opti-myst effect, and i have tried to get a voltage reading to the lamps with no success which makes me think that the

lamps are in series for some reason or other. i am going to try and remove

the part that the lights are fed from to see if this is the cause of the problem,

Cheers

Derek

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi Thanks Derek, that sounds like the transformer that powers the lamps is bad, I have seen that many times with Dimplex Fireplaces.
Tech Michael
I will be here if you need me further.