Michael
Michael, Technician
Experience:  Small appliance technician
11519491

I have had a a PK66 circular saw since 1989. Recently it has

I have had a a PK66 circular saw since 1989. Recently it has refused to switch on. I have changed the on-off switch and it now refuses to start when the blade is vertical but will start when the blade is horizontal. What part, if any, do I need to change?
Category: Small Appliance
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
I am Tech Michael and I will be assisting you today.
Please be patient with us as these are technical questions and some testing may be required.
It may take a bit of back and forth conversation to be sure we have all the information in order to make a proper diagnosis.
This sounds like a mis wire or a defective switch, do you have a meter for testing?
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, I'm afraid I have no meter. If it were a mis-wire then the drill is unlikely to work with the blade horizontally-positioned. I am about to dismantle the drill again to see if any wires are mis-connected at the switch.

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi Peter, if you have a little experience with electricity, you could jump the switch to see if that is the problem, if not... then you will need to take it an appliance repair shop or enlist the help of someone with that experience. OR...if you want I can help you further with this, but that will mean you will need a peter or even a cheap test light from a hardware store,
Dont worry, I will stick with you until we have this working again;-)
Please rate kindly and I can then set up free follow ups with you it wont cost you anything more to do that and it will lock your question with us.
thank you Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The problem was indeed mis-wiring thought not as you might have guessed.

Points to note:

1. The PKS 66 is now out pf production and this model was bought 20 years ago (and has until now worked excellently).

2. The power cable over these 20 years has been much twisted.

3. At the point where it enters the assembly it is firmly held.

4. The twisting appears to have caused the wire to snap within its sheathing. Twisting the saw one way reconnected the two ends.

5. Disassembling the power cable, shortening it and reassembling it has solved the problem.

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
I am glad you found the mis wire!
Have a great day and please rate kindly!
Tech Michael
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
r