Gary
Gary, Handyman
Experience:  25 yrs experiance in home related repairs..This includes carpentry, electrical, plumbing, appliances
3714457

My Singer Heavy Duty sewing machine wont sew. It sews 2-3

Customer Question

My Singer Heavy Duty sewing machine wont sew. It sews 2-3 stitches and large mess of thread appears undeerneath before the machine locks. how do I repair this fault?
Category: Small Appliance
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
Hi and thank you for using Just Answer;

Per your question here are the common mistakes made that causes this problem;

1) do not use "heavy" duty thread. Just regular thread only

2) while sewing you need to hold the thread tight between the tention disk. Everytime the needle comes up, it creates slack and then it takes it back down at an angle thus causing your problem.

3) have your tention setting no less than than 4, and no more than 5.

4) If you are doing all of the above and still have this problem check your "Needle Plate" If it is all marked up then it is bad and needs to be replaced. If it has marks on it then what it is doing is catching the thread and not allowing it to continue to do it's job.

I wish you the best.

Gary