Michael
Michael, Technician
Experience:  Small appliance technician
11519491

merrychef ec401

Customer Question

merrychef ec401
Category: Small Appliance
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi I am Tech Michael, I am sorry to hear that.
Please be patient as these are technical issues and I want to guide you the best way possible to save you money and time;-)
Please remember these are technical issues and may require some back and forth conversation to sort this out.
What is the issue you have with your Merrychef?
Also how old is it?
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

well i think its about 5 yrs old and keeps blowing the 10 amp fuse

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi thank you,
how long after you replace the fuse and when exactly will it blow?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

within 2-5 seconds of the program being pressed

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Murray,
This is a short circuited component.
Do you have a meter for testing and some basic hand tools, that will be needed to determine the issue.
Also will it heat at all during those few seconds?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yeah i hav som tools if u tell me what to test exactly it wud b great if i cud sort it

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Sounds good Murray,
First lets go through the basics.
When you turn it on, do you hear the fan and magnetron running?
Also does it sound louder or quieter than normal?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

when i 1 st had a look at it ,the capacitor had blown the diodes off it

it has had anew magnetron,capaciator,di odes and transformer

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Murray,
if you wired this all correctly and I assume you did, the problem is the main control board.
They will fail when one of the relays on there sticks and another tries to kick in.
Usually the main control board is the fault on 80% of the ones I work on.
So I will bet thats the issue;-)
I will stick with you until this is fixed, please don’t forget to rate my service to you before you close this page. I will be available to you at no additional cost , you can then get in touch with me anytime by simply replying to this message.
Thank you and have a great day Murray.
Tech Michael
Michael, Technician
Experience: Small appliance technician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

well it will probably take week or so until i find the product number etc as we have to order stuff from wolsely but i will let u know how i get on ty

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Murray if you rate my service to you now as good or better, You will be able to reply to me at no additional cost anytime;-)
Hope that helps.
Tech Mike