Michael
Michael, Technician
Experience:  Small appliance technician
11519491

I have a Karcher sc1122 which worked well until recently,despite

Customer Question

I have a Karcher sc1122 which worked well until recently,despite de scaling it heats up but will not steam and switches itself off
Category: Small Appliance
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 2 years ago.

Hello there,

Please note, I am just a moderator for this category, I can only try and find experts to help, I can't answer the question itself.

Adam

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** wait for a short time,but do need to get steaming!!
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 2 years ago.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Adam

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I am Tech Michael and will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.The better you describe the problem, the quicker I can help ;-)3. Remember to leave a Positive Rating after we're finished. it doesn't cost anything additional to rate kindly;-)I am only compensated for my time and expertise if you rate kindly.How old is your stem cleaner?Thank You,Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is about 5 years old but has not been used that much, about twice a year
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for that. How long will it remain on for before it shuts off by itself?Thanks for your patience.Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It gets up to temperature then the light goes off,it will not steam at all.It is as if when it should be ready to steam that it turns off Many Thanks for your help
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
hey no problem, I'm here because I love to help people.So are you saying as soon as it gets up to temp it shuts down?I need to be sure of this, that tell s me the story lol.Thank you very much for your patience.Michael
Michael, Technician
Experience: Small appliance technician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That is how it seems. I had it working,thought it had run out of water, left it to cool down ,refilled, and it reheated and then shut off
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Thanks again, this is going to be the heater tube assembly. That part contains the sensor and a valve. These sometimes fail just because they aren't used often. I'm not exactly sure why, but I suspect its due to a stuck component inside that assembly. Its pretty small stuff in there.One thing I do that doesn't work is make up a descaling solution like this.Fill the unit half way with white vinegar the rest with clean water.Then shake the unit and give it some pretty rough taps, not hard enough to cause damage, but enough so it may knock loose the clogged or blocked component.Then let it sit overnight, then shake and knock it a bit more and try to see if the unit will run this cleaning solution of vinegar and water at all.It is similar to the way you would descale a coffee maker. It works on these cleaning units about 80% of the time.If that works great then rinse out the unit and your good to go, its a good idea to run the unit at least once a month to prevent this from happening again.I will stick with you until this is complete.Please rate kindly thus far, it won't cost you anything to rate my service to you kindly,Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.Thank you and have a wonderful day!Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No good I have done what you suggested, heated up and switched itself off!
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** this means there is either a bad temp sensor that is not allowing the unit to heat up fully so the unit simply shuts off. Or there is a serious clog in the unit that is not allowing steam to escape so it turns off on safety due to high pressure.You will need to take this apart to see if you can locate the trouble. You also may need a meter for some simple tests do you have one handy?I will check to see if there is a diagramThanks for your patience, as this is a technical issue and one of a few things can be the fault. Tech Mike
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks again, No I do not have a meter, am not even sure I would Know how to take it apart, (I am 73, and not good with gadgets,machines etc). Give. me an animal and I'd know what to do!! Hope you can help or I will try taking it somewhere, Where would I need to take it for repair?
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi LOL ;-)I understand. These are a bit pricey to fix but the best place depends where your located. Are you in the the US or UK?ThanksTech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
UK, Northants
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi thanks I got it ;-)The best place to send that for repair is http://www.karchercompleteleeds.co.uk/Please give them a try, I know they have an excellent rating form customers on there site;-)I would visit the site and call them for this repair. Please let me know if you need anything else.Thank you and have a great day!Tech Mike
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Michael for your help
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Your welcome ;-)Tech Michael