George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I have a Flavel Aspen cooker, model AP10FRS. The thermostat

Customer Question

I have a Flavel Aspen cooker, model AP10FRS. The thermostat on the non fan oven has stopped working. I have identified where the thermostat is but need advice on which spare to buy and how to change it.
Category: Small Appliance
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
There is only one thermostat used for the main ovens on the range.. This is because the thermostat is required to go to 280 degs... That is part number###-##-####
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you point me in the right direction as to where I might get one? Any on line website for instance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't worry, I've found one and ordered it for delivery tomorrow. I'd like to keep this question open until I get it fitted and working. Is there anything special I need to know about removing the old one and fitting the new? I've had the burner plate and back off so know how to gain access. How is the thermostat fixed to the back of the control unit?
To remove the thermostat just place a screwdriver between the thermostat and the selector switch and twist.You can see a blue cable type coming from the side of the thermostat in your image.. Follow that wire; it will go through a hole into the oven and will be clipped to the top edge of the oven with a phial at the end of it. Please take the time to rate my assistance using the stars provided, as it is the only way I get credited for responding to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks George,
Yes, I'll certainly rate your help once the job is finished, which I hope will be tomorrow assuming the part turns up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi George,
I've now removed the old thermostat unit and am ready to fit the new one. Only snag is that the connections on the new unit aren't the same as those on the old. The old ones, in the left of the picture, are numbered 1 and 2. Terminal 1 was connected to blue and white wires, in the same spade connector, the blue one coming from the oven controller and the white from the clock unit. Terminal 2 was connected to a black and a white wire with a double connector on the black to enable them both to go on the same terminal. The white wire in this case goes to the oven indicator light on the front panel and the black to the top element in the oven.
Question is which connectors take which on the new unit (on the right of the picture)
It doesn't matter.. The thermostat is purely a regulated switch and purely makes a connection between the two wires when its shaft is turned
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I've installed the new thermostat and I'm afraid the problem is still there. When the oven is switched on it just keeps on getting hotter, the temperature knob seems to have no effect. Any ideas?
You may have a short in the selector switch, the phial of the thermostat is in the wrong place, or if you have only just obtained the oven, maybe the wiring is incorrect. The original question has now been answered; Please take the time to rate my assistance using the stars provided, as it is the only way I get credited for responding to you.If you wish to ask further questions, please rate the assistance first.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The oven is about eight years old so the wiring is okay. How can I test for a short in the selector switch?
The original question has now been answered; Please take the time to rate my assistance using the stars provided, as it is the only way I get credited for responding to you.If you wish to ask further questions, please rate the assistance first.
How can I test for a short in the selector switch? Remove one of the wires from the thermostat and insulate it.. Test to see if the oven is still heating.. If yes, there is a short in the selector switch or the wiringIf no, there is a fault with the thermostat you have fitted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, it's getting a bit late now so I'll try it in the morning. Bit of confusion resulted in me posting the same question twice, please ignore the second attempt!
I have cancelled the other question as I didnt want you getting charged twice..Have a good evening and I will respond to you when I am around tomorrow
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I decided to do the test you recommended. I detached one of the wires to the thermostat (and insulated it) then turned on
the oven which heated up as before. I guess that suggests a short as you said. Is changing the selector switch the next step? If so is it practical for me to do it and what part(s) do I need?
Yes, that infers a short in the selector switch, incorrect wiring, or a short in the wiring. The part number for the main oven selector switch is###-##-####The decision on capability has to be left to yourself.. it is merely a case of swap-out. However, if replacement of the selector switch doesn't cure the fault then you will have a short in the wiring... In that case you would need to access the services of an appliance engineer to test the wiring for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, I've ordered the part and will let you know how I get on, hopefully on Monday.
Ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well I've changed the switch and no improvement. I guess there must, as you suggested, be a fault in the wiring somewhere so I'll have to call in a tech to check it out. Thanks anyway. Do I need to rate you again? The screen says I do but there isn't anwhere to do so.
Thank you for getting back to me... If you can give me your postcode I can try find an appropriate tech for you.