How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dales-Electronic Your Own Question
Dales-Electronic, Small Appliance Technician
Category: Small Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 1466
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
Type Your Small Appliance Question Here...
Dales-Electronic is online now

I found your website under an add that said ask an

Customer Question

Hello, I found your website under an add that said ask an electrician. I need a U.K qualified Electrician to answer my question. I asked it four days ago to ***** ***** but it says he is a plumber and he's not finished answering it yet. I really did need an answer last week so I'm trying again. If you are a qualified electrician with a copy of the 17th edition which you need by law to be an electrician then this really is an easy question.I need to extend a two core cable and wire it into a three point plug
I need to wire a two core cable into a three point plugThe original appliance is Spanish (it is a U.V light bulb). Andrew says both of these things are legal but to do this but I need the details from the 17th edition to include in a method statement. I don't own a copy and it seems to make more sense to pay someone that does than buy one and spend half a day looking for the answer.Please quote the paragraph contents paragraph number / page number that relates to the answers from the 17th edition. Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Small Appliance
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.

I would with respect suggest that Andrew is correct in that is is doable. - You need to note that the 17th Edition Of the Electrical Regulations covers the wiring of homes and buildings with a view to protecting people, property and the actual electrical wiring. They do not cover the connection of items that plug into this wiring, whilst they can set the standard for electrical contractors and thereby have a common fit system they have no control over what is plugged in. Obviously manufacturers of appliances have their own individual standards which should be followed. As this is in effect a portable appliance the standard tests for double insulated appliances would surfice.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I really need to quote some form of official document in my method statement.
What is the regulation that covers double insulated appliances not needing an earth ?
I really would prefer not to have to pay to have the appliance PAT tested. It looks like we will be installing multiple ones in the future so I really need to find a simple and cheap way to complete the method statement
I look forward to your response
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.

OK lets see if we can help you here - What are you intending to use the UV lights for as there may be a HSE requirement that also needs to be taking into consideration?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm a qualified plumber level 3 city and guilds fully insured.The uv light is part of a domestic water treatment system but it is Spanish. I need to quote the regulation in the method statement but I'm not a sparkyThanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dale. Do you still think you can find and quote the regulation I need ?
Or shall I be looking elsewhere
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there ? I'm really not trying to be an awkward customer. I really would like it if you could help me out, I'd much prefer to get the answer from you guys instead of requesting a refund.
If you need me to upgrade to the higher pay bracket just let me know but I really do need an answer ASAP

Related Small Appliance Questions