Rick
Rick, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.
20444326

Cannot re start. I was cutting the lawn, third time this year

Customer Question

Cannot re start. I was cutting the lawn, third time this year (new oil every year), stoppped to empty the full grass box, came back to restart but the start cable would only pull out about 6 inches, instead of the usual 3 foot or so. I had the release handle cable pulled back to the main @handlebars, the normal start procedure, but still the handle would not come out any further. The cable from the handle into the engine is attached and workinh, so mo issue there.
This happened before, It is an awkward trip to the dealer to get it fixed and I hoped i could fix it myself.
Any suggestion welcomed.

Checked for oil and fuel, both OK but i did read old fuel goes off, the fuel was from a can I bought last year, but as I have had three cuts this year, I did not think this was the problem.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 years ago.

Remove the spark plug and see if the start cable will spin the engine. If not, it has to be the release, see if it has slipped in its lower clamp and is not releasing the engine brake, You can loosen the lower clamp and move the cable to give it more pull to release the brake band. Let me know. Thank you.