Rick
Rick, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.
20444326

I have replaced a cutting cylinder cable on my Qualcast Classic

Customer Question

I have replaced a cutting cylinder cable on my Qualcast Classic 35s lawnmower and can't for the life of me discover where the return spring connects at the other end. Can you help?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 3 years ago.

Adam

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Adam,

Sorry for the delay. Yes, I am happy to continue to wait for an answer. Look forward to hearing from you as soon as possible.

XXXXX XXXXX

Expert:  adamd-mod replied 3 years ago.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

If you decide on a refund, or wish to keep the credit for a future question, then of course we'd honour it.

Adam

Expert:  adamd-mod replied 3 years ago.

Please understand it is rare for us not to be able to find the right Professional to assist our customers. We can either return your good faith deposit to the original funding source, or we can keep your deposit on your account here for future questions.

Please let me know how you wish to proceed and again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

I hope you will give JustAnswer a try again in the future,

Adam

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Adam,

Thank you for your attempt -- I think I will now request the return of my deposit. Please accept my thanks for your efforts to attempt to obtain an answer. Back to the workshop . . . . at least the sun is forecast again for tomorrow!

XXXXX XXXXX

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.

Can you identify the part in this breakdown? I don't see any item listed as you have called it.??http://www.mtmc.co.uk/Qualcast-CLASSIC-PETROL-35S-/-F016305203-Spare-Parts__p-43012.aspx

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am referring to the spring that connects the cutting cylinder cable to somewhere in the region of the jockey arm assembly cylinder. Hope this helps.

XXXXX XXXXX

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
Did you look at the parts link I sent and identify the part for me? Scroll up to see the link and click on it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I have looked at the link you sent me. My Qualcast is Serial No: 017356A. The part I am referring to is the top spring (No 70). Hope this helps . . .

XXXXX XXXXX

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
70/30 spring goes on the 70/34 pin. on the outer end.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi koboma,

Thanks for that -- I will try that out at the weekend. Here's hoping . . .

XXXXX XXXXX

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi koboma, The spring I am referring to is No 70/32, not 70/30. Sorry if I misled you. Can you still help?

XXXXX XXXXX

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
The tw small springs are for returning the cables. On end hooks t the cable end, the other, goes over a pin sticking out from the sheet metal piece. The spring is directly over the pin in the picture.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi koboma,

Followed your advice but without success. The cutting blades still do not engage. The cable does not engage the cutting cylinder.

Is the diagram correct for Qualcast Serial No: 017356A . . . .

My jockey arm cylinder has two holes in the back plate, one for the arm's return spring -- is the other meant to house the cutting cylinder cable return spring?

Hope you can still help . . .

XXXXX XXXXX

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
Diagram is correct for your model. But you never mentioned your blades would not engage. Have you checked the belts and linkage that the cable pulls? The cable may not be problem. You could have a stripped gear!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Koboma,

Thanks for that. I haven't a clue what a stripped gear would look like, but when I turn the blades it turns the clogs and belt -- and vice versa. That indicates to me that all is well in that area.

As you can tell from my earlier messages, I am a layman when it comes to mechanics, but logic tells me that the return spring of the cutting cylinder must actually engage with a working part. Or am I missing the plot?

XXXXX XXXXX

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
Spring is only to return cable to its starting point. HAs no affect on the operation of the part the cable moves. Move the lever the cable pulls, and see if it engages the gears. Do not have engine running, you want to be able to turn the blade and watch the movement. There should be a continuation of the blade movement, if not, see where it stops. That will be where the problem lies.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Koboma,

Followed your advice and everything appears OK, but the moment I try to operate with the engine running nothing happens - the cutting blade does not turn. Any more suggestions? I have put the machine away until I can return to it next weekend. Thanks for your input today.

XXXXX XXXXX

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
You may have a key sheared. It works with no load, but will not turn the blades, need to see what is turning and what is not. Check back when you can.. Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi koboma,

Still no success . . .I have checked (without engine running) that the cables appear to be working and engaging correctly. I did notice, though, that the jockey arm cylinder is not moving. Does this point to the possible problem? Hope you can help . . .

XXXXX XXXXX

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
Can you move the cylinder manually? Why won't it move?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi koboma,

Yes, I can move the cutting cylinder manually and all cogs respond. The two lower pulleys respond, but not the top pulley. This turns with extra force applied, but does not turn in unison with other cogs/pulleys. Land drive cable operates. When I turn engine on, the cutting blades simply don't engage. Any clues?

XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi koboma,

David Williams