Rick
Rick, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.
20444326

I HAVE A 6/63/ ride-on mower. After a few minutes, the blades

Customer Question

I HAVE A 6/63/ ride-on mower. After a few minutes, the blades top cutting grass even though they are engaged. If I leave it for half an hour it will work again but then soon stops cutting again. Can you help?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 years ago.
There is little information on this unit. Are the blades engaged with electric switch and electric clutch? I sounds like a low voltage problem, where the voltage drops below 12 volts and the clutch will drop out. Do you have means of checking the voltage with voltmeter? Or do you know if you have a clutch that is adjustable? The clutch will have three self locking nuts and three spring, the nuts are tightened to move the magnet closer to the armature. Clearance should be .020 inch. just don't tighten too tight or the clutch will not release. Let me know, thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

"Are the blades engaged with electric switch and electric clutch? ..... Or do you know if you have a clutch that is adjustable"

I have no idea I'm afraid - which is why I "asked an expert". I am mechanically and electrically competent but have no access to manuals which is why I specified the "full details" option on my question request.

I can check voltages but would need clear instructions on exactly where to do so.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 years ago.
How do you engage the blades? With a pull up button, or a lever? If button, it is electric clutch.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It's a large lever to the left of the steering wheel.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 years ago.
So it has a mechanical lever with cable to engage the idler on the deck. Does the lever feel like it has tension when engaging? Is the cable pulling the idler and tightening the belt that drives the blades? With engine off, engage the blade lever, then try turning the blades by hand, The should have good tension and not turn free.