Rick
Rick, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.
20444326

My Briggs and Stratton Classic mower runs at a slow speed,

Customer Question

My Briggs and Stratton Classic mower runs at a slow speed, it also is sometimes difficult to start. I have changed the fuel and cleaned the air filter. Any Ideas thanks Mick.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 years ago.
Model number? Example(NNN) NNN-NNNNB1. Do you have throttle cable or does it run set speed? If it has throttle cable, have you checked the linkage at the carburetor , to be sure the throttle is going fully open? How about a choke cable? Auto choke or manual choke? Have you replaced the spark plug? Is there fuel filter between fuel tank and carburetor?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Model number R484TR or 31033, it does not have a throttle. I have changed the spark plug. The motor speed is governed by a cam attached to plastic lever via a couple of springs. I will check the fuel filter on carburetor. It does not have a choke but a button which you press three times. I hope this helps, regards Mick.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 years ago.

Need the actual engine model. example(NNN) NNN-NNNNB1. It has one. So you have a primer unit, is primer pushing gas when you pump it? That would cause hard starting. To get it to run faster rpm, the spring tension has to be increased, or the bracket for spring has to be bent. Here is a Briggs pulse/prime carburetor site. Look at the first two shown.http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/briggs_stratton_carburetor_cleaning_repair.asp