Rick
Rick, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.
20444326

I bought a Husvarna LC48VE with B&S 675 engine about a month

Customer Question

I bought a Husvarna LC48VE with B&S 675 engine about a month ago. I've used it 3 times and refilled with fuel 3 times. Last time the fuel ran out I took the opportunity to clean underneath and tipped the machine forwards but not on its side as the dealer had warned me not to do that. I also checked the oil and it seemed to need a bit so I put some in. I may have overfilled it slightly as it now shows a fraction above the top hole of the dip stick. Since then the engine starts, but when I press the blue handle the acceleration doesn't last, and the engine cuts out within a minute.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 years ago.

Remove the spark plug and see if it has oil on it. Tipping the unit may have let oil into the cylinder and the plug is fouled. Replace the spark plug. If unit is overfull on oil, drain it down to the full mark, if overfull, it will suck it into the air cleaner and then into the cylinder. I would try that first, and then if it still does not work, remove the carburetor float bowl and check the float and needle valve, tipping the unit may have made the float stick, so now is not moving up and down, not allowing fuel into the cylinder. Here is link to Briggs carburetor, yours will be similar.http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/briggs_walbro_lmt_carb.asp

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry for delay in replying to you.

You've put me on the right track to fixing the mower, and to learning something about maintenance. (As you can tell, I'm not very practical but I'm going to change that).

I have to get the right tool for removing the spark plug, and will be sucking some of the oil out and replacing the air filter. Hopefully that will work but I haven't fixed it yet, as we're having bad weather here at the moment.

Many thanks,

All the best,

Mick

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the reply!