Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

Please advise how to remove starter from Twin II 18 I/C cast

Customer Question

Please advise how to remove starter from Twin II 18 I/C cast iron bore engine mounted on
Bolens ST180 lawn tractor.....do I have to take out engine to remove/replace starter?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 years ago.
What is the model number of the engine? Example(NNN) NNN-NNNNB1. The usual method is to remove the top cover over the flywheel and remove the flywheel to access the two starter bolts. Remove battery cable and the tow bolts to remove the starter. Engine should not have to be removed. But with model number I could be sure.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Looks like 422707 type12G 01?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 years ago.

Starter is held by two bolts at the flywheel end. You have to remove the upper engine sheet metal cover, then you can see the starter. I have removed the bolts by using a thin wrench under the flywheel, but Briggs says remove the flywheel. Has center nut that has to be removed, the a puller has to be used to remove the flywheel to expose the two bolts. Here is link to picture.http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=crmas&va=Briggs+and+Stratton+498148

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks.....is the centre nut removed by turning it clockwise or anti-clockwise please?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
thanks... is the centre nut removed by turning it clockwise or anti-clockwise please?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 years ago.
The nut is a standard nut, remove it by turning counterclockwise.