Rick
Rick, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.
20444326

I have a Briggs & Hatton SP470. The machine has been great

Customer Question

I have a Briggs & Hatton SP470.
The machine has been great but now it is backfiring & will not start. Have removed & cleaned "sooted" spark plug. I think the machine is running to rich - how can I adjust?
What do I need to do?
Thanks in anticipation
XXXXX XXXXX from Hemel Hempstead
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 years ago.
With it backfiring, it should have spark and if it is sooting up the spark plug, it is getting fuel. Is the choke plate closed? Sounds like the choke may be stuck closed and the engine is not getting any air! Could you find the engine number if you still have problem? Example(NNN) NNN-NNNNB1
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

How do I check if the choke is closed?

Is there any adjustment?

Where is the choke?

What do I have to look for as I have no diagrams or service manual.

Cheers

Roy

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What happened to my further questions - I have now been waiting since 11pm! How much more time is required?

Please let me know why you have not replied?

XXXXX XXXXX

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 years ago.

I asked for a model number.??? With model number I can give better answer.?? Here is site showing various Briggs carburetors. I don't know which you have.http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/briggs_stratton_carburetor_cleaning_repair.asp

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok tried to fix before holiday - going to Portugal tomorrow morning for two weeks - can I contact you on return?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 years ago.
Sure, have a great holiday!