Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

I have bought a second hand Rascal mobility scooter 329LE?

Customer Question

I have bought a second hand Rascal mobility scooter 329LE? which is about 5 years old and has had very little use. My problem is that after charging the battery, which the owner said that he had charged occationally, I ventured out on the scooter in the next street but on the way home approx 500 yrds the sccoter came to a sudden halt and had to be pushed home. The lights and the horn still worked but the motor failed.
Hope that you can help.
Margaret
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 years ago.
Are the batteries 5 years old Margaret? Do you have means to check the battery voltage? With batteries 5 years old and not kept charged, more than likely the batteries need to be replaced. They are past there normal life span. Voltmeter can be used to check the batteries, should show more than 12.5 volts each. With bad batteries, it could have also made the reset button pop out and killed the motor function. The button can be reset by pushing on it. Do you have owners manual? The Rascal site will have a downloadable manual. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Information re the scooter.! We were thinking on the same lines after studying the Owners Manual and now think that we have to replace the batteries. You have confirmed our doubts. However, thanks for your kind advice.

Margaret

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 years ago.
Sorry, but thanks.