Jon K.
Jon K., Small engine diagnostic expert
Experience:  Gold certified Stihl tech, Service Manager for a rental/repair shop.Certified in most small engines
29067132

I have a Castel Garden ride-on mower with a B & S 13.0 hp motor,

Customer Question

I have a Castel Garden ride-on mower with a B & S 13.0 hp motor, it is approx seven years old.

The mower will no longer start and checking the spark plug reveals that there is no spark whatsoever, you can hold the plug lead connector whilst the engine spins without a tickle (I was brought up on British motorcycles in the 1950's so have felt the ignition trying to shake your hand .........)

My question is, does the B & S magnetron have a kill wire that could have become shorted hidden away in the bodywork or casings?

Your help would be much appreciated.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Jon K. replied 4 years ago.
Yes it does. On the ignition coil there is a small wire with a butt conector plugged into the coil. This wire is associated with all the safeties and ignition switch and grounds the coil out to keep it from producing any spark. If you unplug this small wire there is nothing to stop the ignition coil (magnetron) from producing spark. If you have spark with the wire removed then you probably have a safety switch issue, if you hav no spark then you have a bad coil