Rick
Rick, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.
20444326

I bought an old sit on golf buggy,it worked fine but the batteries

Customer Question

I bought an old sit on golf buggy,it worked fine but the batteries needed changing,eventually I bought some new ones but when I fitted them a red light on the accelorater came on but nothing works ,a feed gets to the motor but nothing,i took the motor off and connected it to the battery and it works fine please help
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.

Do you have a voltmeter to test with? Does your charger show to be charging the batteries? Is this a 36 volt cart? Does it have battery voltage at the charger connection on the cart? What kind of control does it have? Old resistor type with a set of resistors in a metal box with multiple cables to motor? No number /letter tag at the passenger side glove box?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi its a sit on 4 wheels single seater throttle control 4 new 12 volt batteries basic buggy .it has a small motor throttle control 4 battery power source 2 connections to motor some kind of relay about 45mm cube and some kind of joint box or small inverter .the throttle has power indicator this was working but befor I fitted the batteries the red light came on

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
Does the charger work when plugged in? This verifies that the batteries have complete primary circuit. The foot pedal control works the controller , to vary the voltage to the motor to vary speed. With red light on, it seems that the controller has incorrect voltage.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi Curtis b the charger works the throttle is twist grip the relay thing is jqx 38f 40 amp 3poles dt

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
the twist grip has to be a rheostat. Check it with an ohmmeter and see if you get a even , gradual increase as the throttle is advanced.