spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Journeyman TechnicianWorked on small to large engines for 30 yearsGas,LP,Diesel
65057319

my MTD Tractor mower revs fine until you try to lower the deck.

Customer Question

my MTD Tractor mower revs fine until you try to lower the deck. When you try and lower the deck the engine cuts out. I have cleaned the fuel line and changed the filter. Carb and float appear clean and air filter OK. Any other ideas?

Simon
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 3 years ago.

Hi Simon and welcome

It sounds like your brake,clutch switch is not working or wires came off.

It is a safety switch to make sure you on on tractor before it allows deck to be engaged.

It would hit the pedal linkage when you push down on pedal so it knows your on machine and ready to go.
There's also a seat switch but that should prevent you from starting.
There may also be a deck switch that works along with brake switch but it definitely just sounds like a switch problem not a engine problem.

Look under pedal by linkage to find switch.

If it is a two wire switch to test use a jumper wire to connect two wires together and try it and see if it works.

Sometimes they just get bent or damaged wires.

If you can't find it or need more info I will need complete modal and serial numbers to look at schematics.

Best of luck to you Simon and I'm here if you have follow up questions even after rating.

Take care
spanky

x

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Spankyjr1,

Ii have ordered a new switch(only a fiver) I will let you know how I go on next week

Simon

Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 3 years ago.
No problem Simon,reply when ever you need or are ready.

If it does not fix issue just reply back with mower numbers for me and then I can take a closer look, but that is a common issue with that mower.

Just ignore the emails they send you, they don't come from me I have no problem waiting until you are ready.

Those emails go out automatically and I have no control over them.

Have a good week

spanky

x

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry it took so long to reply but sent it away for repair! Cost me £160 to find out the carb is u.s. and because its a Tecumseh a replacement is £250 if you can find one.

Simon

Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 3 years ago.
Hey Simon nice to hear from you.

I thought it was dying out from a electrical problem by the way you said it.
Usually when it's a carb problem they will kind of stumble and miss and then die so it did not sound like a fuel problem.

Do you need me to try and find a cheaper one for you or is it already fixed?

If you need me to look give me your part numbers and I will see if I can find one for you.

If all fixed and I was of no help just let me know and I will put in for a refund for you or you can leave deposit for another question at a later date,you don't have to rate to get a refund only if you want me to be paid.

Just let me know what you want me to do.
I do have to go out for a couple hours but will check for a reply when I get back.

Talk later
spanky
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Runs like a dog at the moment. There were lots of bits of plastic in the carb and now when under load it doesn't run without a little choke on. I am away in London at the mo but will send you the serial/model numbers at the weekend. The mower is only 7 years old so still got some life! It may be an engine swap though.

Cheers

Simon

Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 3 years ago.
Okay Simon sounds good

Have a nice trip.

Talk later
spanky