Rick
Rick, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.
20444326

How long a lead can I fit to my Bosch Rotak 43cm 1800w

Customer Question

How long a lead can I fit to my Bosch Rotak '43cm' 1800w
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
You want to know what length of extension cord you can use? There is loss in any extension, but by using a larger gage wire for the extension, you can go at least 100ft. A 12 gage cord will carry more amperage than a 14 gage cord. For longer distance, you need larger gage wire.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can I just clarify please. My question didn't mention extension leads; it asked How Long A lead? I am fitting a new lead as the existing one is chopped half way along it's length! 'er-in-doors' ......, or rather ('er-out-doors) wanted the lead longer than previously........., so total length from mower to 13amp plug (with RCD) was the question... Thanks,

Am looking at 22metres? I understand heavier guages mean further length is possible.... These machines come with 15 metres of cable as standard, don't know what 'Gauge' though, Trevor

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.

Ok,same thing applys. You want to have longer lead, you need a larger diameter wire. Gage is wire size. the bigger the number, like 18 gage, is smaller size. Smaller number is XXXXX wire diameter. The larger diameter of the copper wire , the longer the lead can be. 22 meters is equivalent to 75 ft. Select wire lead one size larger than you have now and it will work. Your hardware man should be able to determine what you have now and can give you the next size up.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Curtis,

I didn't realise you were in the US of A...., and I'm in little old England.

Didn't think my question was complicated. I'll give it one more try.

The lawn-Mower's Motor is rated at 1800 Watts. It came with 15 mtrs of cable (you say wire!). I don't know what gauge (you say gage).. My question is...., What is the maximum length of wire I can go to using the same gage as original. This is England remember, everyone clocks off at 12:00 GMT (That's 07:00 EST) on a Saturday ! It's now 15:45 our time, so It'll be 10:45 wherever you are. Trevor

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Without going to a larger gauge cable, you are limited to the same 15 meters . To add more cable, you need larger gauge cable to go to 22 meters. Texas.9:47
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Curtis,

We got there in the end,

Cheers from England

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks!