Rick
Rick, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.
20444326

I have an Echo HC-1600 hedge trimmer. I havent used it since

Customer Question

I have an Echo HC-1600 hedge trimmer. I haven't used it since November 2013. I had trouble starting it so I replaced the petrol with a clean mixture. I have cleaned the carburettor and replaced the sparking plug. I managed to get it to turn over and fire and it worked for about a minute then stop. I can't even get it to fire now. Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Richard Palmer
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
Remove the spark plug, and with it grounded, see if you have spark. Is the spark plug wet? If plug is dry, fuel is not getting to the cylinder. Try choking it to the maximum until it fires.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can't see a spark coming from the plug.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
Did you try a different spark plug? Spark plug was grounded for test? If so, locate your kill switch and remove the kill wire going into the engine, this goes to the coil, and grounds the spark when switch is turned off.Then check for spark again. No spark, you have a bad coil. If you do have spark, the kill switch is grounding out the spark, and either switch is bad, or it is in need of cleaning, so it does not ground out the spark. Let me know. Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm not sure how I "ground" the spark plug.

Is the "kill switch" the one on the front of the handle that is shown above the word "OFF" ?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.

The spark plug has to be touching the metal of the engine, or use a jumper wire to ground the plug metal to the metal of engine. The plug has to be grounded, or it will not show spark. Kill switch is the on/off control switch.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately to get to the kill switch I have had to take the have had to take the handle apart and am not sure of the arrangement with the trigger and spring. Do I disconnect the lead going to this switch?
Any help with a diagram would be appreciated.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
Disconnect the lead to the switch, one side of switch will just go to ground. Then check for spark. No spark, your coil is bad. If you have spark, the kill switch is grounding out the spark. There is no wiring diagram, only two wires, both at switch, one to coil, one to ground.