Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

I have just replaced the lawn mower pull cord and it pulls

I have just replaced the lawn mower pull cord and it pulls when it's off the lawnmower but when I put it back on machine I cannot pull it.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
Remove spark plug and see if the engine could have liquid in the cylinder, keeping rope from pulling.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok but really what has happened is I have just replaced the pull cord which pulls when I test if off the machine but when I put it back on the machine I cannot pull it? Would the spark plug affect this? I've just checked spark plug it seems ok
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
If you unplug the spark plug, and tip up the mower, can you turn the blade? If blade will not turn,remove the spark plug and try to turn engine. Rope might be tight, because engine will not turn
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I've done that and I can turn the blade. Are you saying the problem might not be related to the fact I have replaced the pull cord?

Louise
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
That was my assumption. But if blade turns , the rope should be able to spin engine. But I would try it with spark plug removed. Does rope lock? Maybe the fingers are not catching the cogs in the top of engine?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok I've tried that it still doesn't work but I can hear the white plastic clips hitting against the top of the housing when i replace it.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
Are the plastic clips moving out and mating the inner holes?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The plastic clips are moving in and out when I pull the cord when it's off the machine but when I put it back on the machine I can hear them hitting something and it stops the cord pulling

Louise
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
Did you remove the plastic clip piece when replacing the cord? Can it be installed up side down?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No all I did was take the pull cord tension coil off machine then I pulled out the broken cord turned the spring housing anti clockwise 7 times then re threaded a new cord and released the spring slowly to allow the cord to rewind itself onto the spring thing. I did see those little plastic clips things and wondered what they were but I didn't unscrew the centre screw to expose any of those parts inside. Then I tested it before I put it all back together and then put everything back in place and went to pull it and it sticks. Grrrrr!

Louise

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
Does this model have a blade brake that grabs the flywheel when handle is released? Could this be keeping flywheel from moving when rope is pulled?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's got two bars on the push handle. One of them you have to hold when you start the mower and the other one makes it self propel when you're actually mowing. I've tried holding both and it makes no difference

Louise
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
What is the actual model number of the mower and the engine. The model is just a series that you have given. I need to see if there is a flywheel brake. It may not be coming off the flywheel when handle is held. May need adjustment, or the cable has come loose.?/
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Model is 10A902 type 2272 E1 then a code which says 00031355 it's a Briggs and Stratton sleep propelled lawn king and I says 4.0HP 46 cm and then some other numbers RL 484TR not sure if that helps
Louise
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.

The model shoes to have flywheel brake. Controlled by the handle and cable . Look for the brake band on the flywheel and be sure the brake is releasing when handle is pulled down. Here is picture of brake, #923A.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok I think it's working but to be honest I rather think I'm out of my depth now it's getting a bit technical so I'm going to put it into the garden centre and get them to give it a service and see if they can find out what's wrong. But thanks very much for your suggestions you have been very helpful. :)

Louise
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a good read if you were able to change the rope, past a lot of folks!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Aww thank you! Not bad for a girlie I think :) bye bye
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
Have a great day!