Rick
Rick, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.
20444326

Hi I HAVE A DEWALT DW712 BEEN FINE BUT IT NOW STOPS AND STARTS

Customer Question

Hi I HAVE A DEWALT DW712 BEEN FINE BUT IT NOW STOPS AND STARTS AND IS NOISEY LIKE A BEARING GONE AND THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN IT WORKS FOR A SECOND OR TWO QUIET AND FINE THEN STOPS AND STARTS AGAIN ALMOST LIKE ITS CARBON BRUSHES I HAVE CHECKED THE BRUSHES BUT FINE NOT STICKING WONDERED IF ITS CAPACITOR START MAYBE CAPACITOR FAULTY CAN YOU HELP THANKS REGARDS ALBERT
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.

Much more likely a bearing in one end of the motor is trying to lock up. Only two bearings in the motor, front and rear. The front one takes all the load, and if it is going out, it can spin freely and then try to lock up. With saw unplugged,turn blade by hand in both directions feeling for rough spots. It will not have anything to do with the capacitor.DeWALT DW712 Type 1 8-1/2 Miter Saw  schematics Page B