Rick
Rick, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.
20444326

I have just purchased a CHT171 huskvana lawn tractor, its

Customer Question

I have just purchased a CHT171 huskvana lawn tractor, it's been serviced some ago and not used since that time. The battery is not serviceable a new one as been fitted and it start no problem but when the cutting deck button is pulled it viciously stalls the engine any ideas would be helpful
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
With unit off, can you turn the deck blades and belt freely or could there be something jamming the blades or pulleys. If it drags the engine down, the deck is not free spinning. If it dies like key is shut off, it may be the seat switch or brake switch stuck
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi I have checked the belt and all the pulleys and they appear free and will rotate by hand, if I pull the switch out gingerly to under half it's normal position the blades will rotate but not in the full on position but it won't stay in this position whilst in motion.if I take my weight off the seat the engine stops as it should and the engine won't start unless the foot brake is pressed foreword fully.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
Has the battery issue been taken care of? The blade clutch has to have a full 12 volts to continue to run. Anything less and it will drop out.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes as per my first message this was fitted last night, I am told the user has to run the motor a maximum rpm is that correct? I have attempted at lower rpm but it didn't work either.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
Blade engagement should be done at high rpm, or it will stall the engine. But it should not kill the engine! Have you checked the fuel filter, with unit not being used, moisture can get in fuel tank and plug new filter. It would let enough fuel for no load, but not enough for running with blade load. ??
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok thanks I'll try that and get back to you.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
OK, thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Curtis, I took your advice and called into a small Garden Machine Co in Gloucester for. Fuel filter and a spark plug, on describing the fitted filter as being a small red disc he stated that was incorrect being a Briggs type. I told him the problem I was having and he said " you have got the grass box on" I said no has I was going to mulch, he said you will find if you fit that it will be ok. Thanks for your advice pointing me in the right direction. I do have an instruction manual but didn't think this made this fact clear. Thanks again.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
So it was the safety switch on the grass box killing the engine. Thanks for the reply!