Rick
Rick, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.
20444326

Hi, I have a MTD Lawnflite 991 SP6 mower. The power drive gets

Customer Question

Hi, I have a MTD Lawnflite 991 SP6 mower. The power drive gets weaker after it has been mowing for about twenty minutes. Then when I engage the drive lever, I have to give it a push before the drive takes up. It had a new drive belt late last year, but that made no difference.
Any thoughts on what could be the issue please.
Regards,
Jim.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.

The drive is just a mechanical gearbox driven by the drive belt. The belt has to slip for the drive to slow down or have no power. Try adjusting the cable to the drive. The cable is likely holding the gearbox lever from fully engaging the belt. Look at the lever and cable and see if belt is too tight or too loose and adjust accordingly. Here is link showing the gear box. http://www.powertoolspares.com/index.php/tool/lawnflite/spares-and-accessories-for-991-sp-6-e/12be658o6112003/mtd007912/spares/