spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Journeyman TechnicianWorked on small to large engines for 30 yearsGas,LP,Diesel
65057319

I have a 14.4v li-ion De. Walt drill. the charger lights up

Customer Question

I have a 14.4v li-ion De. Walt drill. the charger lights up once when switched on but does not appear to give any charge. Is the charger faulty? how can it be repaired?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 3 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX're having trouble today.I will do my best to assist you in resolving your issue.

Sorry about long delay we have been very busy Today.

Most likely it's not the charger but a shorted or dead battery.

These chargers will not charge a battery that is below 70% of battery rated voltage.

So if you have a volt meter check battery voltage,,,,, if voltage is below 10 volts the charger will not turn on to charge battery.

Hope this helps.If you have questions or need further information I would be happy to help.
spanky
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. I checked the battery voltages. Both are 12.5 volts, so presumably OK. I checked the charger and can see no output at all. So I connected one of the batteries up to my car battery charger (which gives 14.4volts) and found the battery took a charge. So, can you advise me what might be wrong with my charger and how it might be fixed? thanks.
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 3 years ago.

Most of the chargers will have a small circuit board inside with one way diode to prevent battery from discharging after battery is charged,a overload relay, and circuit breaker, or fuse,,,look on the printed circuit board for any loose solder joints or burned marks.

If it's just a loose solder joint you could re solder.
If board is burnt I would replace charger since you don't know why it is burnt and installing a new board might just burn up new board.

The other problem is getting parts for them,, they would rather have you send in for repair.

I wish there was better news but don't want to give you false hope.

Hope this helps
Good luck
spanky
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for excellent rating very much appreciated.

Take care
spanky