Rick
Rick, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.
20444326

My stihl cutter ts350 wont pull fuel from the tank

Customer Question

My stihl cutter ts350 won't pull fuel from the tank
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
With no primer, I assume your choke flap on the carburetor is closing the opening when choked? If the choke is working, and no fuel is being drawn from the tank, you can have a bad fuel line or split connection on the fuel hose to the carburetor from the tank. Also the filter in the tank has to be clean. I would replace the suction hose, the one with the strainer on it in the tank, and clean the strainer. I think this is where you have a problem. Might also be a good time to replace the return fuel line also.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The choke is working.The filter iin the tank is new.Which is the return fuel line?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
The one without the strainer, that just pokes through into the fuel tank. Carburetor should have two hoses, one is suction other is return.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The other line just looks like a breather,it has a threaded screw in with a groove down one side.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
It is not important, only the supply line would cause problem. Check the hose connection at the carburetor for any splits or hole in line. I would replace this line!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will try this but if I suck on the end of the line Ido get fuel.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
It is either a bad line, or the carburetor still has problem. When you replaced the diaphragm, did you clean the small fine mesh screen in the carburetor inlet side?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The mesh was clean.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
OK, so that would indicate the fuel line is sucking air and not letting the carburetor suck fuel.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so what I need is new hose's

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
That would be my starting point. And it likely will take care of the problem. I assume you have compression and the engine is capable of pulling a vacuum.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is compression

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
OK, then the fuel line would be the next step.