Rick
Rick, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.
20444326

mcculloch mt 260cls will start and run on idle but just dies

Customer Question

mcculloch mt 260cls will start and run on idle but just dies when you give it throttle
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 2 years ago.

Hello there,

Please note, I am just a moderator for this category, I can only try and find experts to help, I can't answer the question itself.

Adam

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

what information do you require

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
still waiting on an answer
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 2 years ago.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Adam

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Do you see air in the primer button when priming? Does the primer stay full when engine cranks and idles, or does it go empty? If the primer bulb empty s, the carburetor needs new diaphragm kit. Or the fuel line from tank needs to be replaced. If you find the strainer has come off in the tank, the carburetor will need to be fully cleaned.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the primer stays full when the engine cranks and the strainer is still on in tank. this strimmer has only done less than 10 hours work brand new last year

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Does the carburetor have any adjusting screws? Older units had a high and low speed adjuster screw, many of the new ones have NO adjusters. If no adjuster screws, The carburetor is best replaced. Not what you want to her, but with no adjustments, the kit cost as much as a new carburetor. If you have the two adjustment screws, count the turns, turn them in till they bottom out, then turn them back out to where they were. See if it will run. If not , try opening the high speed screw 1/2 turn. Usually the screw will need to be loosened, to let more fuel into the engine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no screws on this model

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
That was what I figured, you could try removing the carburetor and cleaning it m flushing it out with spray carburetor cleaner. That would be first thing to try. If no change, you may just need a new carburetor. They just don't build them to last or to work on! sorry.