spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Journeyman TechnicianWorked on small to large engines for 30 yearsGas,LP,Diesel
65057319

My flymo re320 doesnt work anymore. Its 3 years old. Ive

Customer Question

My flymo re320 doesn't work anymore. It's 3 years old. I've tried changing the fuse. I've even taken apart the connection casing and the cover that protects the motor. No apparent issues. Please suggest some ideas
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 3 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX're having trouble today.I will do my best to assist you in resolving your issue.

It sounds like the thermal switch may be tripped, this happens when it overheats.

Go to this link and click on the doc1 icon on left side so you can download manual to your computer.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7304376.htm

Let me know if you have any problems.
spanky
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your answer spanky but it doesn't seem to have fixed the problem. Are you aware of specific thermal switch that needs to be reset on the mower .

Plus the information on the document says that the mower's thermal switch sometimes cuts out when the mower was overheated. This cant be the case with my mower because I hadn't used it for two weeks (which it proved to be working fine), and then when I tried it on Saturday it didnt work at all.

Any help you can give would be gratefully received

Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 3 years ago.
Hi Jonathan.

Thermal switches can go bad at anytime,,, they usually get tripped from overheating but could also be tripped from a direct shorted motor.

Have you checked the power cord?

If you know how to use a ohm meter test each wire from one end to the other it should be under 3 ohms resistance in each wire.

The power plugs can also go bad anytime,,, if you have no ohm meter I would replace the male end of power cord it's only a couple dollars and it is a common problem.
Just un plugging and pluging in can make it loose it's connection.

Yor overload may be directly on motor you would just push it in to reset.

It sounds more like the power cord so I would change end first.

Let me know if you have no luck
spanky

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you for your answer.

In terms of the power cord everything is all built in together, i.e.e its a molded unit, therefore its difficult to change the plug or the cord without totally ripping it apart.

I dont have an ohm meter, and im not sure how to use one.

Do you think this would be the only way to resolve?

Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 3 years ago.
Hi Johnathan.

The male end of the cord that is molded you just cut the plug off about 1" away from plug end and that leaves you just the cable.You take a razor blade and cut just the outside casing off exposing the 3 wires.Then just install a reusable end.
They sell just the replacement end from a hardware store ( you are from UK so I don't know what you have there as far as places to get parts).

Something like in link below.You just need to order correct one to match your end.
I'm also downloading a video of how to change a plug end.

http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Duty-3-Wire-Replacement-Male-Electrical/dp/B003URJVPU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nAqfEXuHjQ

Hope this helps.
spanky
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for positive rating Jonathan very much appreciated.

Take care
spanky