Rick
Rick, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.
20444326

My 2 stroke trimmer has changed direction of rotation - what

Customer Question

My 2 stroke strimmer has changed direction of rotation - what can I do ?

Category: Small Engine
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 2 years ago.

Hello there,

Please note, I am just a moderator for this category, I can only try and find experts to help, I can't answer the question itself.

Adam

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was waiting on an answer, which I think would be that nothing could be done, and would just have to buy a new one -- what a waste of a good engine !
Ken.

Expert:  adamd-mod replied 2 years ago.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Adam

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
What is the background on the trimmer? Have you replaced the pull rope or anything on the start side of the engine? String trimmer should have no gears, just straight shaft from engine to the trimmer head. If engine is not running backward, which I doubt it is, I see no way the output could change direction.?? Do you have the model number of the Ryobi?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have replaced nothing. It happen when I was using it, the engine was running well and then it (for no reason) it a made choking sound and the pivot-trim attachment came flying off. The engine then resume normal sound, but it was running backwards !

Model -- PLT 3043YE 30cc

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
When engine was stopped and restarted , was direction still reversed? Engine can NOT run backwards , as it cannot suck fuel through the exhaust. Have you replaced the cutting head and see if it works?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, it is still reversed even when I restarted it. I have not replaced the cutting head, -- I very much like the pivot-trim.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
What is the model number? I see no way the engine can be reversed, the pull cord would only turn it in the correct direction, and with direct drive to the cutter head, seems to be something that I have never seen!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Model - PLT 3043YE 30cc

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Looking at trimmer, it is just standard trimmer. Direct drive from the engine to the cutter head. Look at the cutter end where the blade on the cover keeps the string cut off. Pull rope and see if the drive shaft is turning in the direction of the cutter blades sharp side. If it is , the direction of travel is correct.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I do not have cutter blades for it. I think we may have to give up on it.

Thanks for your help.

Ken Cope.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
I just know it is basically not possible for the engine to run backwards. So replacing the cutter head may be all you need to do. Sorry.