Rick
Rick, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.
20444326

The red primer button sticks after the first push and takes

Customer Question

The red primer button sticks after the first push and takes a long time to come out again. Although the engine starts first time it only runs for a couple of minutes.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 3 years ago.

Hello there,

Please note, I am just a moderator for this category, I can only try and find experts to help, I can't answer the question itself.

Adam

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I'm happy to wait a little longer for an answer. But I would like to cut my grass soon.

Expert:  adamd-mod replied 3 years ago.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Adam

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.

Take a look at this carburetor. It seems to fit the unit you have. It looks like the check valve under the primer may be plugged, or the passage from fuel tank to the primer could be plugged, but one of them is not letting the fuel enter the carburetor for running. Here is link.----http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/briggs_pulsa-prime_carb.asp

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks a lot Curtis. The link is a great help. Just one more question. If the check valve is gummed up, is there a proprietary product I can use to clean it without dismantling? Like Redex in a car engine?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
Try some spray carburetor cleaner, or some Sea Foam, but the primer will likely have to be removed to get to it.