Rick
Rick, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.
20444326

My mountfield hp47 dose not seem to have any revs it cuts but

Customer Question

My mountfield hp47 dose not seem to have any revs it cuts but just it seems like its on tick over can you help
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
No throttle cable? Briggs engine? To raise rpm you have to increase spring tension on the throttle linkage on the carburetor. Add tension in very small amounts!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No throttle cable just a stop cable yes it's a Briggs try'ed playing with spring but it just pup pups a long when I cleaned air flitter out their was a lot of oil in it is this normal ???
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
Oil in air filter would not be normal. Is oil overfull which would be gas contamination? Will it run better with air filter off?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Try'ed that as well dosent run any better
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
Has mower ran into anything that would have stopped the engine ? This could cause the timing key on the flywheel to partly shear , throwing the timing off.?? Can you raise rpm manually at the carburetor linkage? Choke flap is wide open?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It dose sound like it's running on full choke I only know that because I use disc cutters at work but no not hit anything do need to open it up ??
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
Remove the air filter housing and see if you can see the choke flap and whether it is open. Do you have the engine model number, so I can look up the carburetor used?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
These are all the numbers on the front of mower model 10d902 type 0169 code 05121555 can't seem to see or tell u the truth don't no what am looking for !!!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.

Using 10D902-0169-B1, the carburetor is likely an auto choke version and has no adjustment and is part of the throttle butterfly. Here is two links, one to parts site, showing the carburetor in parts and prices and the second the dis-assembly of the carburetor.-----http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=briggs_and_stratton&mn=10D902-0169-B1&dn=63790004-------http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/briggs_vacu-jet_vert_auto_all-temp.asp