Rick
Rick, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.
20444326

I have a 18hp Vanguard engine fitted to my Westwood mower,

Customer Question

I have a 18hp Vanguard engine fitted to my Westwood mower, it starts fine but it is hunting all the time. I have checked the carb and cleaned it. New air filter fitted also. The fuel is fresh.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
is the model number of the engine? Is this a twin or single cylinder version of the Vanguard? I'm thinking this is the older twin flat head engine. With a single coil with two spark plug wires from it. Check for spark on both cylinders, you may have engine only running none cylinder. If it has spark, the compression needs to be checked to see if the cylinders are equal. This will give us a place to start.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It is a twin with two coils, model 350777, model 1120-E1,code 99040811. I have rechecked the carb and there seems to be an outlet on the carb next to the fuel line that does not have a connection on it. If I cover this whilst running the engine will stall?. Cannot see where this should connect to if any. Hope this helps.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
The opening on the carb is a vent, it does not need anything on it. Did you check to see if both cylinders are firing and have spark?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have and as far as I can see they both spark, however I will recheck later to confirm and reply to you.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
pull one at a time and see if engine will run with either cylinder.