Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

I have a Yamaha G14 Petrol golf cart which I am refurbishing.

I have a Yamaha G14 Petrol golf cart which I am refurbishing. The engine has always run fine when I start it up until know. I stripped the old bodyshell and I will be replacing this. My efforts have been confined to the cosmetic appearance of the cart ie refinishing wheel hubs replacement seats etc. I decided to clean the engine and engine compartment and I used a 3 in one engine cleaning foam. Now the engine will not start. It is not attempting to turn over. I have charged the battery and that made no difference and it is a problem in the electric or so it would seem. Any thoughts
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.

Remove the spark plug and be sure the engine will rotate. Then follow the positive battery cable to the starter solenoid, touch the cable connection to the small switch post using an insulated wire, the starter solenoid should engage and the starter/generator should spin the engine. This checks the battery, cables, solenoid and the starter generator. If this all works, then you have a problem between the key switch and the solenoid. Here is link to the wiring. -----------http://www.cunninghamgolfcar.com/images/document/wiring%20diagram%20Yamaha%20G14A.pdf

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Forgive me but I am struggling with your instructions

The positive battery terminal goes direct to a relay there are two leads at the point of connection one is the heavy duty lead from the battery and the other is a thin lead heading off somewhere else. another heavy duty lead then proceeds from the relay to the starter. what is meant by the small switch post, exactly. Just touching that with a insulated wire. unconnected to anything? How does that work? I think I understand you to be saying that I link the positive HD cable where it connect to the starter to a small switch post - if only I knew what you mean by that. Can you elaborate?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
The relay is the starter solenoid. It has the posiitve cable from battery. You want to connect this point to the small switch terminal on the solenoid, which is what the key switch does. The insulated wire would be used to jump from battery cable to the switch terminal.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have tried that and nothing happened. The battery is good as the wire started to warm. is there something about my cleaning the engine which is relevant or is that merely coincidence?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Did you turn engine by hand to be sure engine will turn? If it does not turn, remove the spark plug and try t. If so, it sounds like the starter/generator may be problem. If battery cable was getting hot,it was sending voltage to the solenoid and starter.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did turn the engine via the flywheel and there was no problem.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.

take jumper cable direct from the battery to the starter/generator and see if engine will spin. If not, you know the starter is bad. Negative to the frame of starter, posiitve to the battery post on starter.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This has established that the starter/generator is functioning as it turned over the engine.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
It sounds like the solenoid is bad.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That sounds a good deal less expensive and probably nothing to do with my cleaning. Is it as straightforward as remove and replace as is?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Yes, just remove your negative battery cable and then install new solenoid. Straight forward, replace as is.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks for all your help.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you! Please rate my answer and that will close the question.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience: Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.