Rick
Rick, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.
20444326

Hello, I have a Westwood 1800 mower and it wont start. I

Customer Question

Hello, I have a Westwood 1800 mower and it won't start. I am just getting the clicking from the solenoid. can you help?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
Do you have a means of checking the battery? Voltage has to be above 12,5 volts before start, and not less than 8 volts when the key is turned to start. If lower than 8 volts, the battery or cables are bad. Can you manually turn the engine? When did it last run?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Curtis

The battery is showing 12.2v and I have pressed the start button quite a few times, so it has probably dropped due to that.

I last used it about a month ago and it was sporadic starting then. Sometimes the starter motor would turn and sometimes the solenoid would just click.

It was serviced about 6 weeks ago and is kept in a dry shed.

I have not tried to turn the engine manually.

David

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
What is battery voltage when key is turned to start and the solenoid clicks?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It drops to about 11.9v

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.

So the solenoid is not closing. If you jump across the two battery terminals at the solenoid does the engine spin? I'm thinking bad solenoid.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Will try in the morning and come back to you. David

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Curtis

I went to work this morning with the intention of getting back onto this this evening. In the meantime my wife called a guy who does some gardening to come and bring his mower over the mow the lawn as it needed doing urgently and between them they got my mower going, so I am sorted.

Not sure how this works for a payment point of view as you were not the person to solve the problem. Can you let me know.

David

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
We can leave this open until you get time to check the mower. I'm in no hurry.