Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

My perkins prima engine has just been totally reconditioned

Customer Question

My perkins prima engine has just been totally reconditioned and the new compression test now reads 390/ 400/ 400 and 390 so no internal problems. But the engine is still smoking badly and I am told that this is unburnt fuel. Both injectors and fuel pump have been totally reconditioned and they set the fuel pump set at the lowest possible delivery of fuel that it can be set at. I don't know what if anything to do next - any ideas please
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.

How does the injection pump mount? Can you twist the body of the injection pump on the mounting studs to advance the timing? The timing needs to be advanced , which will help the smoke and let it burn the fuel.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No it's fixed. There is a 'smoke adjusting' nut on the top of the unit but the garage say this was adjusted to deliver the minimum fuel injection possible when it was reconditioned iand they are loathe to 'fiddle' with it now.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Timing is off, or there would be no smoke with new cylinders and rebuilt pump. Could the timing gears be one tooth off, or??
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry. - your speaking a foreign language to me - are the timing gears part of the pump?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Yes and no, the timing gears are what drives the pump. Who installed the pump?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The engine has recently been completely overhauled by a local marine engineer. When completed it was still smoking and so he sent both injectors and fuel pump to a specialist company to have them reconditioned. He then out the pump back. I presume the pump was originally installed in 2003 when the bit was first built
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Timing of diesel is critical as to the starting and to the smoke generated. This being a boat, The air system would be basic, and have little restriction, I assume that the air is not restricted?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No it's definitely not restricted - if you cannot adjust the pump ( as in this case) - is it still possible to adjust the timing?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Timing would have to be changed by the front drive gear.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Given that you suggest the timing is off and the pump cannot be adjusted - are you suggesting that the timing should be adjusted by the front drive gear? Thanks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I think your engineer needs to get it right!