Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

I have an Ariens 911 series 311-LM21s walk behind mower fitted

I have an Ariens 911 series 311-LM21s walk behind mower fitted with a Tecumseh 6hp VLV60 engine 502013c which has always started fine but now wont start and there appears to be no spark at the plug. I have tried another plug but no spark either.
I have tested the magneto with a multimeter and resistance across plug lead to earth is 3.75 on the ohm register set at 20k with the earth (engine stop) wire detached from the magneto.
I have checked there is fuel in tank and squirted easy start into air intake but still makes no attempt to fire.
I am not sure if the magneto reading is representative of a good magneto or if there are any other checks I should be making to determine why there is no spark.
The engine has not been stripped down but it has been removed from its original deck and fitted to a new deck but I cant see how this could have affected it as no changes were made to the timing.
Have you any suggestions ?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
If you have no spark with the spark plug grounded to the metal of the engine and the kill wire removed from the coil. The coil has failed! The only thing that makes the spark is the coil and the magnet in the flywheel. Tecumseh 34443D (replaces 34443A)
Solid State Ignition
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks I will go ahead and purchase a new coil / magneto. I suspected as much but the resistance found by the multimeter test threw me as articles i read suggested the reading indicated a performing coil . Is the 34443D the direct replacement for the one on my engine ?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
The ultimate test is whether it produces spark with kill wire off and magnet in he flywheel! The resistance test is not reliable on the coil. Please rate and accept to close the question! THANK YOU.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for that - Just the second part of question do you know if part you mention 34443D is direct replacement for original coil/magneto. I cant seem to find any lists anyware and a number all look the same

Ian

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
34443D is what the parts list shows as the correct replacement. I just did a Google search of the number and it pulls up many. Ebay and Amazon have it. I did find the model listed as VLV60-502013c , I used partstree as source.