Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

Lawnflite 829 ride on mower with Briggs and Stratton vanguard

Customer Question

Lawnflite 829 ride on mower with Briggs and Stratton vanguard v twin engine will not run. Plugs have been cleaned. Will fire up on plus gas but not carry on running. Plenty of petrol in tank, can not find a fuel tap so assume there isn't one. Inline filter is not blocked
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
What is the engine model number? Most to the Vanguards have a fuel pump as the bottom portion of the carburetor. It has a pulse line that goes to the engine crankcase. This fuel pump has to let fuel into the carburetor. Here is link showing the carburetor with the fuel pump section. You will need to left click on the link to highlite it and right click to access it.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/briggs_opposed_twin_carb.asp
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is a 18 HP v twin, that is what is printed on top cover. The fuel line from tank goes to something mounted above valve cover of one cylinder. I assume it could be some sort of vacuum pump?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
That would be a pulse fuel pump, powered by the pulses of the pistons moving in the crankcase. Do you have fuel from it going to the carburetor? Does the carburetor have a solenoid in the base of it? Fuel shutoff solenoid, that plugs the main jet? Has to open as soon as the key is turned on.??? Waht are the numbers off the engine? Exampe 456677-01230-B1
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Curtis. After viewing your reply I decided to pull the carb off to see what was going on. Looks to me that the shut off solenoid was car boned up and not opening correctly. Everything soaking overnight in carb cleaner then I will check it out, re-assemble and try again. Thanks for your advise, it gave me a bit more confidence to have a go myself. Not familiar with these little engines, more familiar with big diesel lumps.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
!! Ok let me know. I was Diesel tech myself on the old Detroit two cycles!