Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

I'm Fred. My countax mower has an intermittent starting

Hi, I'm Fred. My countax mower has an intermittent starting fault: the engine turns but won't start. The spark plugs don't spark when tested.The seat cut out has been loose but seems to be connected. The spark plugs are new. Any tips. It's very frustrating!
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
What is the engine model number? Single cylinder or twin cylinder? No spark at the plugs can be bad coil on single cylinder, but not likely on a twin cylinder! If no spark on twin, more likely there s problem with the kill wire or ignition.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Curtis, thank you for prompt response. It's a Countax 350 twin cylinder.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Briggs engine or ??? Locate the wires going to the coils and remove them and check for spark. If you have spark, the kill wire circuit is shorting out the spark. Can be wire harness shorting out, or can be a keyswitch problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's a Honda engine.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, same thing applys. Honda uses a kill diode block that goes to both coils, locate the wires to the coils and unplug them, if you have spark, the diode block would be the problem.