ranwell1
ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of Large Small engine repair business. Over 39 years. Certified both 2-cycle and 4-cycle engines
18770454

My /s 14.5 hp lawn tractor engine starts and runs on choke

Customer Question

my b/s 14.5 hp lawn tractor engine starts and runs on choke for 2mins then half choke for 1 min then starts hunting badly then stops and will not start until its left for 2mins.then the same again .carburetor completely overhauled all jets clear,mixture screw makes no do notdifference ,new s,plug no difference,new petrol and filters,no difference.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  ranwell1 replied 2 years ago.

If an engine runs on choke only, then it is still a fuel system problem. It could be a fuel pump....if your unit has a fuel pump. But it is usually the carburetor that is restricted. I know you said the carburetor was overhauled but it still acts like carburetor. You may have to re cleacn the carburetor and use a complete carburetor repair kit. Another possibility is that the fuel CAP may not be venting. Try running it with the fuel cap loosened . if it does better, then replace the cap with a new one.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi,ranwell, thanks for your responce, i had already tried everything you suggested .as a last resort i adjusted the valve clearances which seems to have resolved the problem.