Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

How do I remove the large pulley on my Merry Tiller Major

Customer Question

How do I remove the large pulley on my Merry Tiller Major cultivator?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Pulley is held on the shaft by a set screw (grub screw), with it removed the pulley has to be tapped off the shaft. It is to thin to use a puller on , but if it can't be tapped off, then you can drill two holes next to the hub, and then attach a small puller to pull off the pulley. Here is a parts manual for the tiller if you want it. Left click on the link to highlite it, then right click to access. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------http://www.allotment-garden.org/rotovator/manuals/Wolseley-Merry-Tiller-Manual.pdf
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks. The link to the Merry Tiller Manual is much appreciated

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have failed to release the grub screw(s) fixing the drive pulley to the drive shaft. I notice that the grub screw either goes through the drilled drive shaft or there are two grub screws - one at each side of the drive shaft. Do I need a metric Allen key and what size?

thanks, ***** *****

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I wonder have you received my supplementary question below relating to metric Alan keys

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I wonder have you received my supplementary question below relating to metric Alan keys?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
I see only one screw and it may be metric, I see no size listed, Mine are all mixed up, I just try one till it fits!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your prompt reply. I have solved the mystery. The handbook from the internet was printed for a Merry Tiller Major version previous to mine. Mine has no grub screws. The grub screws have been replaced with a steel pin which passes through a drilled drive shaft so it is drifted out without Alan key. Apparently the grub screws rusted in previous models resulting in them having to be drilled out after a period of about five years use.

with my sincere thanks

B.D. ROwlands

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
!! so it was a matter of driving out a pin! Thanks for the update!