Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

My Briggs and stratton engine on the my Cobra lawnmower will

Customer Question

My Briggs and stratton engine on the my Cobra lawnmower will not crank - how do I free it up so it will turn over? If I have a faulty Interlock switch how do i free it up?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
What engine model number? Engine will not rotate? Remove the spark plug and see if it will turn.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Removed spark plug - still won't turn. Its a Briggs and stratton 500e series.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
With spark plug wire removed, tip mower up and see if the blade can be moved. If not, it seems the engine has seized! Was engine an low on oil?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It was low on oil...but I think the automatic cut out stopped it siezing

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
I think you have a seized engine! I doubt the mower has a low oil shutoff! With engine not turning, you have seized the piston to the cylinder wall. Only thing that would keep engine from turning would be a flywheel brake, but flywheel brake should be released by the lever on the drive control. Take the top cover off the engine and put a wrench on the flywheel nut. If it does not turn engine, it has seized and will need major repair.