Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

I have a Honda lawn mower - HRD536 model which won't start.

Customer Question

I have a Honda lawn mower - HRD536 model which won't start. Has been running fine until now. Halfway through a tank of fuel and suddenly stopped while I was using it.
Starts when you pull the cord then conks out, so seems as if spark plugs are working but it won't continue. Air intake seems to be clear, and the fuel is fairly new.
Any other ideas?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Try draining the fuel bowl of the carburetor. It can have water in the bowl, and needs to be drained or cleaned.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks for the tip, have drained out the bowl and it was okay for a bit but it's stalled again since. There's a black button on the side of the engine which seemed to help - not exactly sure what it is for?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Rubber type black button? Fuel primer? See if the fuel cap is venting, if tank does not vent, fuel can't leave the tank,causing stalling.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your help so far. I managed to cut the lawn the other day after draining the fuel bowl. But now it's stalling again. Could it be the fuel? it would be no more than 3 months old. The problem still occurs even with the fuel cap removed.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
The fuel can be contaminated with water, but maybe you need to remove the bowl and check it for debris!