Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

I was on my Murray Lawn mower today and it stopped. Forward

Customer Question

I was on my Murray Lawn mower today and it stopped. Forward and reverse gears no longer work.
It appears the clutch is no longer functioning.
When the blades are engaged they turn even when the brake clutch is depressed. Would like to know what the problem is and if I can fix it myself.
Stuart
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
The drive belt for the transmission is above the deck drive belt and goes from the engine to the top of the transmission. On some models there are two belts with a variable pulley between them, but one of the drive belts is broken or off a pulley. Look at top of transmission to see if belt is there and tight. Many models you can see the belt with the seat up.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I understand what you are saying but what I cannot understand how the blades will turn but the gears will not work.

I will have a good look on Thursday but want to be sure that the blades will still turn with the solution you have given me.

Stuart

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Drive is on the upper engine pulley, the blade drive is below on a second pulley. They are two separate drives! Blades have nothing to do with the drive!