ranwell1
ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of Large Small engine repair business. Over 39 years. Certified both 2-cycle and 4-cycle engines
18770454

Ryobi powrlt2 hedge trimmer. Ran perfectly +hour this

Ryobi powrlt2 hedge trimmer. Ran perfectly for 1+hour this morning, then cut out and will not start again even after leaving to cool down. Fuel is getting through but there seems to be no spark. Any ideas?

Cylinder compression is around 65psi/4.75bar

Category: Small Engine
Expert:  ranwell1 replied 2 years ago.
IF you have no spark then the problem is that the electronic ignition coil has gone bad and will need replaced.
ALso you need at least 100lbs of compression for it to run.
So you may have more than one problem.
Double check your compression before you do anything else. You might want to take off the muffler and look inside at the piston. If the piston or cylinder is scored, then it will not work and most likely is not repairable.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm going to buy a new spark plug in the morning.

The machine is less than 2 years old and has only been used for 12 to 15 hours maximum, so should not be worn out yet!

Expert:  ranwell1 replied 2 years ago.

IT may not be worn out, but if you have NOT been using PREMIUM GAS, then it very easily could have a scored piston and cylinder. Most people do not know that you MUST use premium gas in ALL 2-cycle engines.

I wish you luck and please let me know what you find.

Please leave me a good rating as this is the only way that the site will pay me for my time.

I will be glad to continue with you if needed.