Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

I have a Lawnflight 603 Tractor with a Briggs and Stratton

Hi I have a Lawnflight 603 Tractor with a Briggs and Stratton engine.
After the tractor has been running for a while the engine will not start again.
You hear the starter motor truning over but it doesn't fire up.
Can you suggest what I might try please?
June Rutterford
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Does the engine die and won't start? Or it runs fine until you shut it off, and then won't fire ? When it will not start, remove spark plug, and with the spark plug grounded , see if you have spark. If no spark, your coil is failing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Curtis

The engine runs fine but when it has been in use for a period of time(30min ish) and the engine is switched off when we come to start it again it wont start.

OK you are going to have to spell this out a bit for me firstly where will

I find the spark plug on the engine?

What do you mean when you say "with the spark plug grounded" ?

Lastly what would it mean if the coil is failing?

This is not an old tractor

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Is this single cylinder Briggs engine? Spark plug will be where the large wire terminates at the cylinder head. Ground/earth. You want the plug base to touch the metal of the engine , which grounds it! Do you choke the engine when trying to start engine hot?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Curtis

OK the various model numbers are

Model 2198 7 0371 05 81 ZA

12.5HP 1/C

OHC

It is my gardener who is operating the machine but he seems to have it on half choke when he is trying to start it.

Very conscious of not flooding the engine.

June

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Try full choke for a few seconds, then take it off completely. If that does not work, try no choke. Third , try a new spark plug!
Curtis B., Technician
Experience: Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My gardener has taken the battery out to put it on charge to see if that helps and I am not able to try your suggestions tonight as he has left now and wont be back until Thursday.

Can you make any further suggestions if these don't work?

You mentioned something about a coil failing?

June