Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

Cutting grass and collecting well with Countax when sharp and terminal metallic sound from

Customer Question

Cutting grass and collecting well with Countax when sharp and terminal metallic sound from engine of something obviously breaking probably due to overloading at the time (collector maybe too low plus cutting long grass.) What is likely to have broken in a load situation and is an engine repair normally cost effective on a 18 year old lawn tractor. Tractor working well otherwise.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
No compression? Remove the spark plug and feel for the piston with a probe, see if the piston is moving with the crankshaft. If the piston is not moving, connection rod as come loose from the crankshaft. A replacement engine would be one option. But maybe a new mower?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think I would have liked rather more information about the viability of repair of small engines - given the load situation at time of failure and the metalic sound even I could assume the problem was failure of either the piston rod or the crankshaft, the two parts doing the work.

Whilst it is quite likely that the tractor is beyond commercial economical repair, I really sought to know just how much expertise, time and special tools are required to open up and replace parts in a small one cylinder 15 HP lawn Briggs and Stratton mower engine. Is it straightforward?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
It is a straight forward repair. Other than getting the pulleys off the crankshaft, you need no special tools. Small engine Briggs service manual can be bought off Ebay, and for first time repair, I would recommend it.