spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Journeyman TechnicianWorked on small to large engines for 30 yearsGas,LP,Diesel
65057319

I have a four cylinder Massey ferguson 35 tractor fitted with

Customer Question

I have a four cylinder Massey ferguson 35 tractor fitted with a perkins engine. I have stripped the thread on the inlet to the fuel filter assembly. The top section of the assembly is aluminium but the bottom bowl is steel. I would like to know where I can get a replacement top section, how to repair it or complete new assembly.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** *****'re having trouble today.I will do my best to assist you in resolving your issue.

You are better off replacing entire filter assembly then patching,,patching can cause sucking air problems and low power.

You don't need to use the xact filter, you just need to make sure its the correct micron rating for the engine so you protect fuel system and don't have low power.

Are there any numbers on old filter head?
Is it before or after injection pump?

If not can you take a picture and download into reply box so I can see which one you have. Use paper clip icon on top of reply box.
They installed a lot of different filters on these over the years.

Let me know if you need help picking a new filter head.

spankyjr1, Small Engine Technician
Experience: Journeyman TechnicianWorked on small to large engines for 30 yearsGas,LP,Diesel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Spanky,

Perhaps I did not explain my problem well enough!!!!

There is no problem getting hold of he filter inserts, they are standard size. The problem is the leak at the fuel inlet connection on the filter housing! The tractor is a vintage 1957 Massey Ferguson 35 fitted with a standard 4 cylinder Perkins engine, I am looking for a replacement housing (either whole or just the aluminium top unit). Hope the photos are of some use, if it helps I used the same size engine on captains lauch when in the RN.

Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the pictures Dave.

I understand what you need, and I know of a place to probably get one but they are not open weekends,, so I will contact them Monday and get back to you so you can order one or more.

Talk later
spanky
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Cheers spanky

sorry about all the photos

Dave

Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.
I asked for photos, its easier this way to make sure we are getting correct parts.
Do you happen to know thread size and pitch of fuel line bolts?
Let me know or if you don't know I will pull up and see what is available.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sparky

All the fuel connections are standard 'banjo bolts' so assume they would be BSP. The air vent on the top I think is a BSP plug.

This is a standard perkins engine - I have already replaced pistons. liners and all relevant bearings and cylinder head gaskets 8 years ago but the company that supplied these bits stopped trading.

Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.
Okay Thanks just making sure.
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dave,

These guys have a replacement filter head that changes your canister filter to a spin on, read more, click here.

Contact Us

Foley Engines
Marine & Industrial Engine Products
200 Summer Street
Worcester, MA 01604

Phone: +1.***-***-****
Fax: +1.***-***-****

Send and Email: *****@******.***

You can call them direct to order assembly they are a good place, I deal with often.

Also order extra filters to keep on hand.

If you have any issues let me know I'm happy to assist.

If you need me to call them let me know

You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the positive rating Dave very much appreciated.