Rick
Rick, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.
20444326

I have a problem with my Briggs and Stratton 12hp ride

Customer Question

Hi, i have a problem with my Briggs and Stratton 12hp ride on mower engine model 284707, when it is warm it suddenly blows oil out of the breather pipe into the air filter housing. it is as though a bit of pressure builds up and a valve lets it blow out, any ideas?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
This is the older flat head engine, is the oil level correct? Could the oil be thin from gas being mixed with the oil? Oil blowing out the breather is usually caused by high crankcase pressure, from worn rings or valve stems, but this does not seem to be that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, think the oil was a little high so drained some off and it the problem seems to be going away, thanks for your help.
Ray
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Good job! Thanks!